“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?”
Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)
This is an exciting moment in the history of the church. The Holy Spirit has begun a new movement through us, but we understand that many of our brothers and sisters have many questions. Some of those questions center on how many churches are in our region or how churches join the Global Methodist Church.
Some churches have joined and some in the process to join
The Allegheny West Provisional Annual Conference of the Global Methodist Church serves Western Pennsylvania and all of Ohio. In the United Methodist Church (UMC) system, this region includes three conferences: West Ohio, East Ohio, and Western Pennsylvania. So far, more than 50 churches have left UMC and joined our Annual Conference, and we expect many more communities to join us in the upcoming months. There are more local churches from the three UMC conferences that are considering disaffiliation. The local churches and annual conferences are holding votes on disaffiliation this spring and summer. We anticipate many of these churches will join our conference during the summer months as they make decisions and finalize their disaffiliation process.
How Churches that leave UMC join the Global Methodist Church
Any church or clergy member seeking to join this new movement of God through the Global Methodist Church must go through an application process. The application process includes a discernment process and taking the required steps to be able to join the GMC. Below are a few essential steps to consider before being able to join the GMC.
Step 1 Congregations Discern and Vote
- The church board will need to agree by vote to begin the process to leave the UMC and to join the GMC.
- The local church will request a church conference sitting with the Superintendent of your Conference (All professing church members are welcome to participate in this meeting with voice and vote).
Step 2 The Annual Conference of the UMC Votes
- After a church vote to withdraw from the UMC, the Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church must formally vote to affirm.
- The Annual Conference date is set by the Conference.
Step 3 Disaffiliation
- Disaffiliation is complete once it is affirmed by the Annual Conference.
Step 4 Apply to Join the GMC (Churches and Clergy)
Churches and Clergy Can Join by Applying Online
You can search online for local churches who have already joined
If you are seeking a Global Methodist Church as your local church, please visit our find a church page at https://alleghenywestgmc.org/find-a-church. More churches will be added as they join our conference.